Apply to the Ph.D. Program
Next start date: August 2017
Application Deadline: December 1, 2016
We welcome students from a diverse set of backgrounds; some will be technically educated, some educated in the humanities and social sciences.
All application materials must be received by the deadline, including letters of recommendation, transcripts, and examination results. We encourage you to apply early. The I School does not accept applications for spring term admissions.
- A bachelor's degree or its recognized equivalent from an accredited institution
- Superior scholastic record, normally well above a 3.0 GPA
- Indication of appropriate research goals, described in the Statement of Purpose
- Results of the General Test of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- For applicants whose academic work has been in a language other than English, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The I School accepts only 3–5 Ph.D. students each year from more than 80 applications. Applications are reviewed by a committee of faculty.
Applicants are judged on a number of factors. Good scores and a high GPA are necessary, but not sufficient. The deciding factor is the ability to demonstrate a research record and agenda that fit well with specific I School faculty. In a small, interdisciplinary program, it is important that applicants clearly indicate in their statement of purpose which faculty member(s) they are interested in researching with, and why.