Career Search Resources
- Job Search Websites
- Resumes & Cover Letters
- Negotiation & Salaries
- Online Presence
- Entrepreneurship Resources
- Data Science Careers
- User Experience Careers
- Cybersecurity Careers
- Product Management Careers
- For International Students
Job Search Websites
Flexible and Remote Jobs
- Database of Companies Hiring Remote Workers, by Remotive
- We Work Remotely
- Virtual Vocations
- Working Nomads
- The Muse
- Outer Join: job board for remote jobs in data science, analytics, and engineering.
Contract / Freelance / Short-Term Jobs
- Toptal: a freelancing platform that connects businesses with software engineers, designers, and business consultants.
- PwC Talent Exchange: a marketplace for short-term contract opportunities at PwC.
- Intern Supply
- Path Forward: mid-career internship programs for people restarting their careers after time spent focused on caregiving
- SharpestMinds: internships that lead to full-time jobs in machine learning
- TalentBoard: The new system for early career tech hiring
- Diversity Employer Zone: one of the largest diversity-focused online job boards
- WorkplaceDiversity.com: an online platform for sourcing diverse talent
- The House Fund Job Board: jobs at Berkeley-based startups funded by the House Fund
- Lerer Hippeau Ventures Talent Tracker
Data Science & Engineering
- Data Science Central: Analytic Talent
- Data Visualization Jobs Google Group
- KD Nuggets
- Open Data Science
- ’Rithm Nations AI Ethics Job Board
- Stackoverflow Careers
- Experify: Data Science, AI Analytics, Machine Learning, Big Data
Social Impact / Public Service / Education
- Code for America Government Jobs Board
- Edsurge educational technology job board
- Internet Law & Policy Jobs (from the Foundry)
- Responsible Tech Job Board
- CyberSN: Cybersecurity job search site
- CyberJobs (from the US Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency)
- Women in Security and Privacy (WISP): Security & Privacy Job Board
- Tech Jobs for Good
Product Related Jobs
Resumes & Cover Letters
Resume Basics: Required elements, personalized elements, sample action verbs, and how to give a great first impression — use these basics, as well as your personal brand, to create a successful resume which lands you the interview.
Data Scientist Resume Samples (from Enhancv)
How to Write the Perfect Data Scientist Resume, from EliteDataScience (October 20, 2017)
How to Write A Cover Letter, from Glassdoor Guide
Do I need a Cover Letter?, Rebecca Andersen (January 22, 2019)
How to Write an International Resume (Resume.io, March 29, 2021)
Write a Resumé that Travels Across Countries and Cultures, Harvard Business Review Blog Network (May 3, 2012)
- Sample Resume Template: This template can be used as a guide and example for resume formatting. Keep in mind, there are many ways to format a resume, and this is only one example! As you use this guide, be careful that you pay attention to the built-in formatting (e.g., spacing) so that you keep the look of your resume consistent.
- Cybersecurity Resume Template
- Cybersecurity Executive Resume Template
Networking Basics: Networking is a collection of skills and activities centered around cultivating meaningful, lasting relationships. How can you develop effective networking skills to make the most of your opportunities?
Berkeley Career Network: In collaboration with the Cal Alumni Association, Berkeley Career Network is a career mentorship and networking service for all UC Berkeley students and alumni. Join the Berkeley Career Network and you'll be connected with successful Cal alumni who are actively seeking the opportunity to support current students in their career endeavors through active conversation forums, 1:1 connections, informational interviews, and thought leadership.
Career Fair Tips: Recruiters come prepared to discuss job and/or internship opportunities and provide information about their organizations. How can you prepare for the Career Fair and make the connection, as a first step toward a successful interview?
How to Stand Out at Career Fairs, Rebecca Andersen (October 8, 2019)
A Simple Formula for Answering "Tell Me About Yourself" from the Muse
5 Tips for Non-Awkward Informational Interviews, from the Muse
How to Ace Your Informational Interview, by Eva Mollett (August 14, 2018)
How to Email Busy People (tips for introductory emails), from Sparring Mind
Connecting on LinkedIn: The 5-Point Email, by the Berkeley Career Center
General Interview Tips
- Interviewing Best Practices
- An Introvert's Guide to Job Interviews (Infographic from Entrepreneur, January 2017)
- Your Ultimate Guide to Answering the Most Common Interview Questions (The Muse)
- Interviews.school: Complete interview preparation guide
- 125 Common Interview Questions and Answers (With Tips), from Indeed, (July 23, 2021)
- Interview Prep Checklist (PDF)
- “Tell Me About Yourself” Checklist (PDF)
- 8 Video Interviewing Tips that You need to Know, Rebecca Andersen (April 1, 2020)
- Want to Nail an Interview? Use Mirroring, Forbes (May 22, 2013)
- Big Interview (video interviewing practice tool)
- 11 Tips for Video Interview Success
- 7 Tips for a Successful Video Interview
- Onsite UX Interviews: What They Don't Teach You in Design School (April, 2013)
- A Concise Guide to Onsite Design Challenges (February 5, 2018)
- 11 Common UX Design Interview Questions You’ll be Asked, by Emily Stevens, Career Foundry (July 15, 2021)
- Top 5 UX Research Questions to Prepare For, By Emerson Schroeter, Career Foundry (November 4, 2019)
- Get any UX job with a stellar Portfolio Presentation by reading this, Tiffany Eaton (Interaction Designer at Google), UX Planet (May 24, 2017)
- How to Prep for Your Technical Interview: Advice From a Hiring Manager (The Muse)
- Coding Interview Tips (Interview Cake)
- LeetCode: A platform to enhance your skills and prepare for technical interviews
- Cybersecurity Interview Questions You Must Know (video)
- InterviewBit: Practice for tech interviews with sample problems from Google, Facebook, and more.
- Cyber Security Interview Questions And Answers | Cyber Security Interview Preparation | Simplilearn
- Decoding the Technical Interview, Video Series & Slide Deck, Anita Borg Institute
Product Manager Interviews
- 90 Product Manager Interview Questions, by Lewis Lin (Author of The Product Manager Interview)
- The Circles Interview Method, by Lewis Lin (Author of The Product Manager Interview)
- The Google Pm Interview, by IGotAnOffer (March 3, 2020)
- How to Prepare for Product Manager Job Interviews, by PMExercises
10 Tips for the Perfect LinkedIn Profile, from Undercover Recruiter
The 31 Best LinkedIn Profile Tips for Job Seekers, from The Muse
Negotiation & Salaries
Negotiating Worksheet: Successful negotiation starts with effective planning. The goal is to create a win-win for everyone, as it is (hopefully) the start of a long, successful relationship. Use this worskeet to prepare for a successful negotiation.
Negotiating Your Tech Offer, Rebecca Andersen (May 14, 2019)
13 Tips to Negotiate Your Salary and Job Offer (March 9, 2021)
Ten Rules for Negotiating a Job Offer (July 11, 2016)
Cybersecurity Salaries and Compensation: Negotiate the Best Deal (November 4, 2020)
The Exact Words to Use When Negotiating Salary, US News & World Report (February 21, 2013)
7 Negotiation Tips Given To Harvard Business School Students, Business Insider (August 19, 2013)
How to Negotiate Your Next Salary, Harvard Business Review Blog Network (April 6, 2012)
A Step-by-Step Guide to Negotiating for the Pay You Deserve, MoneyGeek (2016)
Evaluating Tech Compensation
- Tech Compensation: Beyond the Offer Letter, The Skip (2021)
- What to ask about equity when you get a job offer (free startup equity calculator), from Carta
- How do Stock Options and RSUs Differ? (February 4, 2014)
- How to Value your Equity Offer, Carta (October 7, 2019)
- LinkedIn Salary: Explore salaries by job title, location, experience, and more.
- Salary Project: a platform for peers to anonymously share and compare salary data.
- Levels.fyi: compare and contrast self-reported salary levels across different organizations.
- Indeed Salaries
- Compensation Advice (Blind)
- Burtch Works Study: Salaries of Data Scientists and Predictive Analytics Professionals
BEGIN: Berkeley Gateway to Innovation: Overview of entrepreneurship resources available to Berkeley students.
Berkeley Haas Entrepreneurship Mentoring Sessions: Chat with Bay Area entrepreneurs, VCs, and attorneys in 20-minute sessions; open to all students and alumni. Sign up for email announcements to be notified of availability.
Berkeley Haas Entrepreneurship Ecosystem: Overview of entrepreneurship resources sponsored by Berkeley Haas, most of which are open to all Berkeley students.
Berkeley Innovators: Resources for Berkeley alumni to navigate the innovator ecosystem at UC Berkeley.
FORM+FUND: Berkeley Law’s workshop series for Berkeley-affiliated entrepreneurs. Attendance is by registration only and applications are necessary. See more details and sign up for the mailing list on the FORM+FUND website.
Startup Law Initiative: The startup Law Initiative provides free legal training to entrepreneurs. Check this website for workshops and details.
Startup@Berkeley: Website with curated resources for connecting with the UC Berkeley entrepreneurship landscape.
Berkeley Startup Cluster: Website providing an overview of entrepreneurship resources for Berkeley based startups.
BearX: Connect with students, alumni, faculty, and staff to advance your career, find mentors, join startups, attend exclusive events, find templates and a list of resources, and more.
Looking for Love in All The Wrong Places: How to Find a Co-founder: Steve Blank explains how entrepreneurs can use a tool called the Business Model Canvas to find the ideal co-founder for their startup. (from First Round Review)
Startup School by Y Combinator: Includes a library of resources and a set of modules for new founders. This site also has a co-founder matching site and open forum for entrepreneurs.
30 Tips for New Startup Employees: Actionable tips for new startup employees by First Round.
Accelerators, Incubators, & Funding
Batchery: A Berkeley-founded virtual community of veteran investors, advisors, & mentors that works with series seed and A stage entrepreneurs. Startups can apply to fall and spring cohorts, check website for program schedule.
Berkeley Angel Network: UC Berkeley alumni faculty and former faculty angel investors who are particularly interested in investing in UC Berkeley startups. Check the website for the application process and guidelines to apply.
Berkeley Blockchain Xcelerator: Ecosystem of entrepreneurship resources relating to blockchain.
Berkeley Crowdfunding: Students, staff, faculty, and researchers can list their projects here to raise money to fund their ideas.
CalFounders: Professional network of Berkeley alumni who support entrepreneurship at Berkeley. The group holds monthly meetings which are open format and confidential, providing mentorship and support for founders.
Citris Foundry: A Incubator serving multiple UC campuses and offering guidance, education, and a home-base to de-risk entrepreneurship for early-stage founders, especially supporting those who have been historically marginalized.
Contrary Capital: A decentralized, university-focused venture capital fund backing university students and their ideas, providing both mentorship and capital.
Dorm Room Fund: A student-run venture firm backed by First Round Capital that invest in student-run companies.
Free Ventures: UC Berkeley pre-seed startup semester-long program for students, with spring and fall cohorts.
Launch Accelerator: University of California three-month accelerator designed to transform early-stage startups into fundable companies.
Skydeck: Application-based incubator and accelerator for Berkeley students, alumni, and faculty.
Student Entrepreneurship Program (STEP): A 10 week startup incubator program that connects UC Berkeley community members with complementary skills and helps bring their ideas into the world. (Open to students & alumni)
Big Ideas: Innovation ecosystem with an annual fall contest that provides training, networks, recognition and funding to interdisciplinary teams of students who have transformative solutions to real-world problems.
CalHacks: Largest collegiate hackathon bringing teams together to pitch innovative project ideas. Cal Hacks Fellowships are also available to further support projects with mentorship, interactions with industry professionals, equity-free funding, and more.
Data Science Careers
Advice on Building Data Science Portfolio Projects, Jason Goodman (December 3, 2016)
How to build a Data Science Portfolio, Michael Galarnyk, Towards Data Science (July 8, 2018)
Advice for New and Junior Data Scientists, Robert Chang (Data Scientist at Airbnb) (October 8, 2017)
Data Sources for Personal Projects
- Google's Dataset Search
- More Cool Public Datasets (Mode)
- Awesome Public Datasets (github)
- 10 Great Sites with Free Data Sets (Open Data Science)
- 33 Brilliant and Free Data Sources Anyone Can Use (Forbes)
- Statista For Berkeley
- Data & Statistics Guide from the Berkeley Library
User Experience Careers
UX Design Portfolio: Best Practices, They Make Design (March 14, 2019)
The UX Portfolio: Telling Your Story, Usability Counts (January 17, 2013)
How to Build a UX Portfolio, Tom Scott, UX Collective (April 10, 2019)
Tips for UX Research Portfolios, H Locke, UX Planet (June 2, 2020)
Build a simple, compelling Design Portfolio in Days, not Weeks, Patrick Chan, Salesforce UX (June 25, 2020)
National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies: an online resource for cybersecurity training, from the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency
National Initiative for Cybersecurity Careers and Studies Cyber Career Pathways Tool: tool presenting an interactive way to explore work roles within the Workforce Framework for Cybersecurity (NICE Framework).
Cybersecurity Workforce Training Guide (from the US Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency; August 2021)
Information Systems Security Association (ISSA): a not-for-profit, international organization of information security professionals
CyberSeek: data about supply and demand in the cybersecurity job market.
Starting an InfoSec Career – The Megamix – Chapters 1-3: from tisiphone.net (October 12, 2015)
How to Build a Cybersecurity Career: by Daniel Miessler (updated June 23, 2019)
35 Cybersecurity Job Categories (from CyberSN)
The State of Cybersecurity Hiring, Burning Glass Technologies (June, 2019)
Blog Post compilation of where to start for cybersecurity careers, Ean Meyer (March, 2020)
CyberSN Blog, Popular Blog from a cybersecurity recruiting company
Product Management Careers
Product Management: Core Skills & Interview Questions Two handouts for product management careers, prepared by Justin Hu, vice president of product management at Dotloop.
What is a Product Manager (at a Tech Company)? by Rebecca Andersen (January 2017)
Let's talk about Product Management Josh Elman, Medium (October 2015) (See also: Looking back on ten years of How to Hire a Product Manager)
How to Hire a Product Manager Ken Norton (2005)
List of Essential books for Product Managers Ken Norton (2016)
Open Product Management, by Producthired
Getting a Gig: A Guide, PM Edition, Mohammed Shabbar Manek (November 25, 2017)
For International Students
Berkeley International Office: information, advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming for Berkeley international students
International student services from the UC Berkeley Career Center: including advising, workshops, services, and more
International Employee Friendly Employers: from the UC Berkeley Career Center
H-1B Salary Database: This database may indicate employers who have previously sponsored employees for H-1B visas
University of California Business Cards
(Business cards can be picked up on campus or shipped to your address by Federal Express.)