The School of Information (the I School) at the University of California-Berkeley invites applications for a tenure-track position at the assistant, associate, or full professor level beginning in fall 2005. Preference will be given to applicants within 12 years of the Ph.D.. Applicants should have received, or be about to receive, a doctoral degree in the Behavioral Sciences, the Social Sciences, Computer Science, Library and Information Science, Business/Management, or a related disciplinary or professional area.
The I School is an interdisciplinary faculty with a shared commitment to addressing issues related to information policy and ethics, the design of new genres of information and media, and the relationships among information and information systems and individuals, organizations, and society. Candidates should possess appropriate expertise and demonstrated research excellence and be prepared to work in a multidisciplinary setting. Relevant professional experience is also desirable. We are interested in applicants with research interests in the area of information management and systems. Fields of research include, but are not limited to:
- Organization of information and metadata;
- Social or behavioral aspects of the organization, creation, and use of information;
- Relationships among information, information technology, information systems, and individuals, organizations, and society;
- Online communication and work, virtual communities;
- User-centered design of information systems and services;
- Information assurance, including the quality, security, and privacy of information;
- Information design and architecture
The successful applicant will be expected to establish a quality research program and to teach both graduate and undergraduate courses in his/her area of specialty as well as to provide service to the School and University. Applications with vitae, a select subset of papers, a short statement of future research plans and interests, and the names of three references should be sent to the address given below by January 15, 2005.
Chair of the Search Committee
School of Information
102 South Hall
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-4600
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer