Marketing & Communications Interns
The I School is seeking motivated interns to join the communications team. Communications include content production for the web, social media, and various campaigns, and support the I School’s degree programs in Information, Data Science, and Cybersecurity; as well as alumni and external relations.
We seek students passionate about content creation, social media and marketing, and online community building, who are team players that will relish the challenge of helping the I School share our story.
As an intern, you will grow a communications portfolio, gain experience in a professional environment, make an impact through storytelling that supports important research and student success, and take an active role in team brainstorming and pitch ideas.
Currently, we’re recruiting general marketing/communications/social media interns who may wear many hats and will practice a variety of communications skills, including newsletter design, writing, social media, and more.
Graphic Design Intern: filled
Video Production Intern: filled
Communication & Social Media Intern(s):
- Maintains social media calendar. Drafts post for all channels
- Pitches ideas for social media content
- Creates written content for web, newsletters, social and more
- Faculty, student, alumni, and community profiles and interviews
- Newsletter production
- Assists with general communications projects including sourcing story ideas, sourcing photo assets, community outreach, project management, and more.
- Can translate complicated science and technical research topics into news stories for publication consumption
- Comfortable communicating with faculty and leadership on written features and conducting interviews
- Excellent writer with a strong understanding of writing news stories, featured profiles, and press releases
- Helps develop and execute our overall marketing and social media strategies.
- May work on paid marketing campaigns
- Attends weekly marketing team meetings with the expectation to lead on occasion
- Events: Assists at I School events as needed (e.g., registration, social media posting, photography)
- Berkeley undergraduate or graduate student, available throughout the academic year (Sept–May), with a minimum enrollment expected at UC Berkeley through Spring 2023
- Independent worker with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Exceptional command of English: efficient and effective writing and editing abilities
- Demonstrated ability using social media platforms
- Strong analytical ability: Delves into analytics to improve processes; willingness to learn and research solutions independently and meet deadlines
- Excellent self-starter, with strong task management and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills & ability to appropriately represent the I School when coordinating with alumni and faculty
- Professional experience managing social media accounts
- Expertise writing blog posts and familiarity with Medium.
- Expert in Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, or other design tools
- Expert in photography, videography, and/or illustration
6–10 hours per week, throughout the academic year (August–May). Some roles may work on a project basis.
Student Assistant III, starting between $18–26 per hour commensurate with experience. Work-study is a plus, but not required.
How to Apply
We accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the year. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Questions may be directed to Caitlin Appert-Nguyen at email@example.com.