This course focuses on employing XML and web services to reuse or "remix" digital content and services. Students will learn practical tools and techniques to recombine personal information through hands-on explorations and projects.
- weblogs, wikis, and their underlying technologies
- content syndication via RSS
- building applications on top of Flickr, the image sharing site, and delicious, and other social bookmarking sites
- incorporating content from libraries via new digital library technologies
- sending content to the campus' new learning management system, bSpace
- exploiting the XML of OpenOffice.org and Microsoft Office to create and manipulate "smart documents"
- incorporating geospatial services into the mix of services
Students are expected to have some basic knowledge of XML. No experience with web services is expected.