5th Year MIDS Degree Requirements
The 5th Year MIDS program is 27 units, which will be completed in one calendar year over the fall, spring, and summer terms. As part of the curriculum, you will also attend an immersion experience on the UC Berkeley campus.
- Data Science W201. Research Design and Applications for Data and Analysis
- Data Science W203. Statistics for Data Science
- Data Science W205. Fundamentals of Data Engineering
- Data Science W207. Applied Machine Learning
- Data Science W209. Data Visualization
- Data Science W231. Behind the Data: Humans and Values
- Data Science W241. Experiments and Causal Inference
- Data Science W266. Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning
The immersion experience is an opportunity for 5th Year Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS) students to meet faculty and peers in person on the UC Berkeley campus or in other locations relevant to data science. Students gain on-the-ground perspectives from faculty and industry leaders, meet with data science professionals, and soak up more of the School of Information (I School) culture. Currently offered two times a year, each three- to four-day immersion is crafted to deliver additional learning, networking, and community-building opportunities to MIDS students.