5th Year MIDS Degree Requirements
The 5th Year MIDS program is 27 units, which will be completed in one calendar year over the fall, spring, and summer terms. As part of the curriculum, students are also required to attend the Immersion Program on the UC Berkeley campus or in other locations relevant to data science.
Courses contain both live sessions and asynchronous content. Students are required to be online (and on camera and audio) for at least 90 minutes weekly per course for the live, synchronous sessions.
- Data Science W201. Research Design and Applications for Data and Analysis
- Data Science W203. Statistics for Data Science
- Data Science W205. Fundamentals of Data Engineering
- Data Science W207. Applied Machine Learning
The I School offers summer courses in Python programming, as well as self-paced summer bridge courses in linear algebra and data structures and algorithms, for admitted students who lack a working knowledge of these fundamental concepts. Consult the admissions team for details.
- Data Science W209. Data Visualization
- Data Science W231. Behind the Data: Humans and Values
- Data Science W241. Experiments and Causal Inference
- Data Science W266. Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning
Each 5th Year MIDS student must attend at least one in-person Immersion Program on the UC Berkeley campus or in other locations relevant to data science. The three- to four-day Immersion is crafted to provide a variety of learning, networking, and community-building opportunities. More information about the immersion experience.