5th Year MIDS Degree Requirements
The 5th Year MIDS program is 27 units, which will be completed in one calendar year over the fall, spring, and summer terms. As part of the curriculum, students are also required to attend the Immersion Program on the UC Berkeley campus or in other locations relevant to data science.
5th Year MIDS requires foundational knowledge in Python programming, linear algebra, data structures, and algorithms and analysis of algorithms. Admitted students who lack a working knowledge of these fundamental concepts may complete this coursework during the summer, prior to program start. Consult the admissions team for details.
Courses contain both live sessions and asynchronous content. Students are required to be online (and on camera and audio) for at least 90 minutes weekly per course for the live, synchronous sessions.
First Term (Foundation Courses)
- Data Science W201. Research Design and Applications for Data and Analysis
- Data Science W203. Statistics for Data Science
- Data Science W205. Fundamentals of Data Engineering
- Data Science W207. Applied Machine Learning
- Data Science W209. Data Visualization
- Data Science W241. Experiments and Causal Inference
- Data Science W266. Natural Language Processing with Deep Learning
Students who have completed undergraduate coursework in these topics may be eligible to waive specific 5th Year MIDS classes. Please consult the admissions team for additional details.
Each 5th Year MIDS student must attend at least one in-person Immersion Program on the UC Berkeley campus or in other locations relevant to data science. The three- to four-day Immersion is crafted to provide a variety of learning, networking, and community-building opportunities. More information about the immersion experience.